I spent my life wanting blue eyes. My mom has beautiful blue eyes and I wanted to have eyes like her. But alas, no matter how many carrots I ate, my eyes remained brown.
For anyone who is unaware, enough carrots will turn your eyes blue, according to my mother.
My darling brother, who has lovely cornflower blue eyes, used to stick his tongue out and exclaim "I don't have to eat carrots, my eyes are already blue!".
But then Maddy came into my life. Sometime, a few weeks ago, she stopped her perpetual motion before bed, held my face and looked straight into my eyes.
"Mama, wu have brown eyes. Just like me. We the same."
All those years of wishing for blue eyes vanished in that moment. Not only did that comment make me appreciate what God gave me but know exactly why. I may not have answers for all her future questions. But we share something.
Yes, my sweet girl and I have brown eyes. We the same.
Beautiful brown eyed girls!!!
ReplyDelete